Forbidden Fruit: Foods Not To Feed Your Dog

Forbidden Fruit: Foods Not To Feed Your Dog

Anybody who has a pet knows exactly what it is like then when they are not well. That is why animal lovers will do whatever necessary to make sure that their pets remain self and healthy. Unfortunately, bad things do happen and there are times when our dogs are sick. They are a member of the family so we rush off to get them the urgent care they need. There are a number of foods that that your dog simply cannot eat because they are toxic to your furry friends. Keep reading to discover some of the foods that can make your dog very sick and can even be fatal.

Just as we love our pets, most of us humans love our chocolate. One thing you must be careful of is not to allow your dog to ever consume any amount of chocolate. Chocolate (especially baking chocolate) is extremely toxic to your pet. It contains a chemical called theobromine that do massive damage to your dog’s lungs, kidneys, heart, and nervous system. Keep chocolate away from your pet all costs. Store your chocolate stash in hard to reach places. Never keep chocolate in a place where your dog can reach it.

There is no known reason for this but grapes and raisins can make your dog extremely sick. The food can be poisonous to your pet and can cause kidney damage among other problems. Just a handful of grapes could be toxic to your canine friend. Keep them away from this fruit! You would think that it would not be necessary to tell pet owners this, but never allow your dog to consume alcohol. Alcohol contains a significant amount of ethanol and can cause severe damage to your pet’s central nervous and respiratory systems. If for any reason you believe your pet has consumed any amount of alcohol, contact your veterinarian immediately.

A clue to look for when you think your pet has eaten that forbidden food is any kind of signs of physical pain. Most of these foods (especially chocolate) can cause a dog to gain a fever, restlessness, and even causes your dog to shake. If you notice any of these symptoms you should take your dog to your vet immediately. Do not hesitate to call your vet if you have any concerns about what your dog may have consumed.

Our pets play such an important role in our lives. We want them to be around for a long time. It is our jobs as pet owners to make sure our dogs are taken care of to the fullest extent of our capabilities. Keeping these toxic foods away from your dog is a great step in keeping your favorite furry friend around for a very long time.

Forbidden Fruit: Foods Not To Feed Your Dog Credit Picture License: dogsbylori via photopin cc